twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Saturday 25 July 2009

R.I.P Harry Patch and Henry Allingham

I would like to dedicate this post; one, to Harry Patch and Henry Allingham, the final two British First World War survivors who died today and last Saturday respectively and two, to the recent soldiers who have died in Afghanistan in combat.Gordon Brown's quote today says it all; "The noblest of all the generations has left us, but they will never be forgotten. We say today with still greater force - 'We will remember them'."

Lest We Forget.

I recently visited the battlefields of World War One in Southern Belgium and Northern France. I found the trip immensely fascininating while deeply moving, it brought the horrors of the front line to my own eyes. I hope you find the pictures below of interest to you.


The above photo shows the Menin Gate in Ypres, Belgium on which are listed the thousands of names who died without a recognised grave.



The above photo shows a close up of an Australian Memorial, erected after the First World War and then sustained this damage seen when it was come acroos in the Second World War,therefore explaining the bullet holes.

I may post some more photos from my trip, although my computer is taking its sweet time to upload them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordle: Words most used in a left wing British political blog